Michael K. Cantwell, P.C.
Intellectual Property and Media Law Attorney
ABOUT MR. CANTWELL
Michael K. Cantwell has practiced intellectual property and media law for fifteen years, with a concentration on trademark, copyright, publishing and defamation law.
Prior to establishing his own practice in 2005, Mr. Cantwell was a specialist in intellectual property law in the New York offices of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP and, before that, Dewey Ballantine LLP. In that capacity, Mr. Cantwell was responsible for managing his clients’ trademarks and drafting and negotiating intellectual property agreements, including trademark and technology licenses and publishing, escrow, securitization and web site agreements. He also counseled corporate attorneys on intellectual property issues arising in acquisitions, mergers and divestitures, debt financing and bankruptcy proceedings and IPOs, private placements and other investment transactions.
In his current practice, Mr. Cantwell represents a diverse range of clients, including both mid-sized and small corporations as well as sole proprietorships, offering a variety of services related to the acquisition, protection and commercialization of their intellectual property, including the following:
• Drafting and negotiation of software licenses and trademark prosecution and enforcement for a leading vendor of software programs used in electronic derivatives trading.
• Drafting and negotiation of publishing and consulting agreements for the leading provider of news, analysis and consulting services for European and global power, gas and carbon markets.
• Drafting and negotiation of product licenses and trademark prosecution and enforcement for a NYC-based artist and designer.
• Copyright and trademark prosecution for a nonprofit community organization that performs magic, mime and music for over 10,000 critically ill and homeless children.
• Trademark prosecution for a leading Pacific Rim fabrics house.
Mr. Cantwell also is of counsel to the media law and intellectual property practice of Henry R. Kaufman, P.C., where he is principally involved in litigating media defamation claims, pre-publication vetting of manuscripts for a major publisher and advising clients in connection with the acquisition, protection and commercialization of their intellectual property.
Mr. Cantwell began
his legal career working in the media and copyright law practice of
Henry R. Kaufman and for the Libel Defense Resource Center (n.k.a. the
Media Law Resource Center), for which Mr. Kaufman served as General
Counsel and Mr. Cantwell served as Associate General Counsel.
Exploring the Boundaries of Coexisting Trademarks, New York Law Journal (January 15, 1999) (co-author)
Reflections on the New ALI Restatement (Third) of Unfair Competition, National Law Journal (February 1995) (co-author)
Moldea II: Are Book
“Breathing Space” in the “Two-Live Crew” Case, National Law Journal (May 1994) (co-author)
©2005-2017 Michael K. Cantwell